I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and have been called to serve in the Sacramento California Mission! This is my blog where you can follow my adventures for the next 18 months (January, 2013-June, 2014)
Did you know that Sacramento was the original place of the California Gold Rush? I'm so excited! See ya'll in 18 months, I'm going for spiritual Gold!

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Sacramento - Week 5

Due to the new security measures requested by the Mission leaders, the names of all investigators and people that Sarah comes into contact with will be replaced with the name of a well-known character from a children’s movie. This will keep the identities of people safe as well as make it easier to keep everyone straight. The name given is in NO WAY intended to reflect the personality, looks, or circumstances of the individual(s).


Tuesday, February 26, 2013
Italics are additional explanation added for your benefit




Hello!
It's a Tuesday Pday. Glad Sister Doolittle told Bridie on Facebook because I completely forgot. The reason it is a Tuesday Pday is because it is Transfer week! I am staying where I am at with my same companions to finish training, but Sister Jackson and Sister Dalley are finishing their training in different zones so I will miss them a lot!
Mondays are, as you know, normally Pday. The Monday of transfer week is not. Monday you get your transfer call telling you where you are going, then Tuesday is Pday, then Wednesday is moving day for the missionaries that are moving. Because that Monday feels like it should be Pday and it isn't, we call it "Man Up Monday". For Man Up Monday, each zone gets together and does service or works in everybody's areas throughout the day. It's just a good way to have some last time together before transfers and to do a lot of good work and get your mind off the transfer calls you are waiting and waiting and waiting for. Our Zone went and did service for some members in Placerville, clearing brush and burning it. We had about 10 burn piles going and my pyromaniac side was very happy. My hand today is sore, however, from using an axe to chop up wood. Oh yes, I used an axe. What a hard core missionary I am. 
Also being transferred out is my greatly beloved very Samoan district leader, Elder Seumanutafa. We are very close with him and Elder Knotts because their area is right next to ours. They are our go to Elders and we see them almost every day. We celebrated/mourned our transfer calls by getting together to drink bottled root beer.
Me and Sister Jackson at the Temple
We got to go to the temple today! The Sacramento temple is so beautiful and it was so nice to be back at the temple after so long. The Doolittle's came with us and it was great to have our little mission family together. Being in the house of the Lord is so peaceful and rejuvenating! We had to leave at 5:45 am so I was up at 4:30 am but I am not dead (yet). After this I will probably crash. We went to Deseret book and In and Out Burger afterwards for lunch.





Me and Sister Doolittle at the Temple
Me and the Doolittle's
All the Sisters from our district, plus Sister Angemarou who
is going home this week
By the way, I have a full SD card I am sending home. There is all sorts of ridiculous things on it, but such is mission life. 

Also could you let everyone know that if they sent me a letter in the MTC and I haven't responded it's because I never got it haha I know of a few people who said they wrote me, but it must have gotten there the day I left because I never got anything.

Yes! I talked to the Hades's daughter at church. She walked right up to me and said, "My husband is in your ward right now!" I was like, "what?!" and we chatted. It was really neat.
Ok, now for some this week recap:
Monday we had a special zone pday because of Pr Hi Burchett Family!!!!!! - Love Sister Jackson... Carry on. As I was saying, President's day. We played sports outside including touch rugby and had a BBQ. Lots of fun! I love Placerville! It is the cutest historic old Californian town.
We had new missionary meeting on Wednesday. This is where all the new missionaries and their trainers get together at the end of their first transfer for some extra training and problem solving/counseling. Since I am so chill and had no problems, it was a pretty simple day. For other people who hate their trainers, it was more complex. The most interesting thing that happened was that we were attacked by wild turkeys in the parking lot. Yes, they are everywhere in California and they are ugly and creepy and mean and fearless. They were chasing our car (we were the first ones there). When the Assistants showed up they just laughed at us and then they got out of the car to help us and ended up just jumping back inside when the turkeys ran at them. We mocked them mercilessly for their unmanly flight (RUN FROM THE KILLER RABBITS. RETREAT!!!!!)
Our Zone Leaders retaliated from our sticky note prank in a disgusting way. They duct taped a dead squirrel to our car. THEY PICKED A DEAD SQUIRREL OFF THE SIDE OF THE ROAD AND DUCT TAPED IT TO OUR CAR AND WHEN I SAY OUR CAR I MEAN THE LORD'S CAR! GROSS! We named it after them. I got them back pretty good though. I called them and pretended to be crying on the phone very disturbed and talking about going home telling them they were so mean etc. They felt so bad and were like "Where are you? We'll come take care of it. We're sorry!" Then we told them they were suckers and hung up. They gave me an award for my acting skills but now teasingly call me the crybaby when I tease them.
Need a spiritual boost? Well, even if you think you don't, you do! So go and watch two new Mormon Messages called "Earthly Father, Heavenly Father" and "Mountains to Climb". I LOVE THEM! Here's why:
The first one, "Earthly Father, Heavenly Father" helps us understand that we have a loving Heavenly Father who we must have trust and faith in. Just like our Earthly Fathers, he provides for us in ways we sometimes overlook. I love the final quote at the end. 
(Watch it here:  Mormon Message - Earthly Father, Heavenly Father  )

The second one, "Mountains to Climb" teaches that even though we go through hard challenges in this life, our Father in Heaven is there. He loves us and will help us overcome. However, we have to be building that relationship of faith with our Father in Heaven right now so that when trials come, we have a reservoir of strength to make it through. If we aren't building our faith now, we won't have anything to stand on when the trial of life inevitably come.
(Watch it here:  Mormon Message - Mountains to Climb   )
I know the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is Christ's restored church on the earth today. He is hastening His work. These are the final days before He comes again and we will hand to Him His Church and all the world will know that Jesus is the Christ, their Savior and Redeemer.
Love y'all!
Sister Burchett

My zone! My favorite missionaries, I just love them. Sad that
many of them are being transferred :(

No comments:

Post a Comment