I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and have been called to serve in the Sacramento California Mission! This is my blog where you can follow my adventures for the next 18 months (January, 2013-June, 2014)
Did you know that Sacramento was the original place of the California Gold Rush? I'm so excited! See ya'll in 18 months, I'm going for spiritual Gold!

Monday, May 20, 2013

Sacramento - Week 14

Due to the new security measures requested by the Mission leaders, the names of all investigators and people that Sarah comes into contact with will be replaced with the name of a well-known character from a children’s movie. This will keep the identities of people safe as well as make it easier to keep everyone straight. The name given is in NO WAY intended to reflect the personality, looks, or circumstances of the individual(s).

Tina sent me this cute plaque for my Birthday!
And the lemons are from a member's house.
I told them I had never seen a lemon tree before
and so they sent us outside to pick some.


_______________________________________________________________________
“And they shall call her name Mary Poppins…”
Monday April 29, 2013


WE FINALLY ADDED A NEW INVESTIGATOR!!!!!!!! 

Her name is Mary Poppins. And she is a miracle. Remember how last week we were going to hand her over to the Zone Leaders? Well, after meeting her and finding out she is planning on getting married this summer, we decided we needed to keep her as our investigator and not hand her over to the YSAs. She came to church on Sunday for all 3 hours and afterwards we asked her, "How do you feel?" She said, "I just feel really good." So I asked her if she wanted to take the missionary lessons. She said yes. I was about to commit her to baptism when she said, "And I've never been baptized, but that is something I really want to do. Can I do that?" I said, "uh....yeah!" She is praying about a specific date but knows she wants to be baptized before she leaves for basic training in August. It just goes to show that even when you think there is no hope for an area, there is somebody out there. No effort is wasted. 
Daphne finally set a baptismal date! April 27th...2014. (What?!) So that's her birthday and she wants her baptism to be a "literal re-birth" on her birthday. Now, obviously she will be getting baptized way before then, God willing. But, it is a BIG deal that she has set and committed to a date, even though that date is currently a year from now. Now that she has made that commitment, we can work and moving that date closer and helping her feel ready for baptism. 
We had a really cool experience this week. Our ward missionary, Sister Cullen, has all these little girls from her apartment complex over all the time. They call her and her husband grandma and grandpa. Two of the girls in particular are interested in the church. So, we go over and play piano with them and share a scripture story a couple of times a week (have I told you about this already? If so, skip to the good part, which is...now.) We had a movie night with them this week and we watched "The Testaments". They loved it and it opened them up to a lot of questions about Christ and the Book of Mormon. Most of the girls didn't know much at all about Jesus Christ and it was amazing to watch them realize what he had done for them, even if they didn't fully understand it. 
Sister Roberts and I out to lunch at Arby's with members
I never cease to be amazed at the youth of the church. We got to teach the 12 and 13 year old Sunday school class yesterday. We were talking about the Apostasy and the Restoration, but they started asking some really good questions about the second coming like "Will that be in our lifetime?" and "What will it be like when Jesus comes again?" We turned to 3 Nephi 11 and read about when Christ appeared to the Nephites. They heard a voice from heaven and then they saw Christ descend. My favorite part is when Christ had the people come one by one and feel the prints in his hands and feet and the hole in his side. Every person there, and there were about 2,500 people, got their own one on one moment with the Savior. I told the class, "I like to think that when he comes again it will be something like that. We will all get to have our moment with the Savior, and then He will teach us and give us guidance. We don't have to fear the second coming, because we know that Christ will always win. We just have to make sure that we are on the Lord's side when He comes." I don't know about y'all, but when the Savior comes, I'd like Him to catch me doing something good for somebody else. 
We visited two elderly less actives this week that really stuck out to me. Sister White and Brother Lancelot. Sister White is nearly 90 and blind. She used to be a very accomplished artist and pianist. We went and I played piano for her. Her first name is Snow and her favorite piano piece is Fur Elise and Rock of Ages. I was playing them for her and I just kept thinking about how hard that would be! I don't know what I would do if I couldn't play anymore! It hurts my soul just thinking about it, but I do know that if that day ever comes, I hope there is a girl who will come and play the piano for me. 
Brother Lancelot is an 84 year old widower. He lives alone and just really loves visitors. I hope I die before whoever that man is that marries me, because I would HATE being alone like that. Again, if that ever happens though, I hope there are people to visit me, because I can't take the silence. Remember the elderly everyone! 
The Zone Leaders Car
The Activity Days girls in the Cameron Park and Rescue wards made us gift bags full of treats and goodies and gave them to us. Lots of fun. My favorite item was a roll of toilet paper. Sister Roberts and I just used the toilet paper to TP the Zone Leaders car. Good times. 
We had an all Sisters conference call for the mission this week that was pretty cool. I got to talk to Sister Hale and Sister Loli before it started. I got to see Sister Hale this week because she was on exchange up here, and I get to see Loli tomorrow at New Missionary Meeting. I am so excited! I miss that Samoan.  
Well, I think that's about it. I've got to go help the other convince Elder Finnerty to go get stitches for the chin he just busted open while we were playing indoor hockey. Ironically enough the chin didn't get split open because of the hockey, but because of an unrelated game of leaping onto the stage and sliding like a penguin. Elders. Can't live with 'em, Can't live without 'em, and love 'em like brothers. 
Have a wonderful week! I love you and I know this gospel and this church is true! 
Sister Burchett


I forgot to mention Mormon Helping Hands!
We did a service project at the local elementary school on Saturday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment