I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and have been called to serve in the Sacramento California Mission! This is my blog where you can follow my adventures for the next 18 months (January, 2013-June, 2014)
Did you know that Sacramento was the original place of the California Gold Rush? I'm so excited! See ya'll in 18 months, I'm going for spiritual Gold!

Friday, May 17, 2013

Sacramento - Week 12


***PUBLISHER'S NOTE: 
Apologies to all of ya'll who have been anxiously awaiting an update on Sarah's mission. I just completed 4 straight days of state testing/finals/AP testing so these past few weeks I have been busily studying for those tests as well as feverishly trying to complete the homework over the last minute things our teachers had to teach us all while trying to balance my already crazy hectic life. Needless to say, her blog kind of accidently got put on the back burner, but now that testing is all over I will be hurriedly trying to post and catch you guys up to date :)
Thank you for your understanding and patience,
Bridie
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Due to the new security measures requested by the Mission leaders, the names of all investigators and people that Sarah comes into contact with will be replaced with the name of a well-known character from a children’s movie. This will keep the identities of people safe as well as make it easier to keep everyone straight. The name given is in NO WAY intended to reflect the personality, looks, or circumstances of the individual(s).


“Training, a whole new world”
Monday April 15, 2013




First off, I just heard about the Boston Marathon. Let me know what else happens. I hate not knowing and having the news to stay updated. I got to email Lisa though and make sure her family that was there was all ok and they were so close to it but they are all ok now! Thank goodness! My prayers go out to the families and the people of Boston. What a difficult time for our country. It's a crazy world we live in and it only opens my eyes more to how much people need the gospel of Jesus Christ.

This week has been crazy! If you can't tell by the fact that my P-day is almost over and I am just now getting to email. So much has happened that I am just going to start at the beginning and work through the week. 
Left ---> Right:  Sis. Roberts, Me, Sis. Hale,
Sis. Loli, Sis. Loli's new companion
(Sarah did not provide us w/ a caption, sorry
for not knowing Sis. Loli's new companion's name!)
First, Wednesday we all drove down to the mission office to have Sister Hale meet her new companion, and for Sister Loli and me to be trained and pick up our new companions. We were late, because we had to pack up EVERYTHING we owned before we left because the new Elders were moving in. We were up so late the night before and I was so extremely exhausted. But, I put a big grin on my face because I did not want my new companion's first impression of me to be, "Great, I got the exhausted grouchy and disheveled looking trainer." When they had her open her call and they announced I would be training her, I bounced right up and hugged her and smiled and laughed and totally faked it till I made it haha. 

My new companion is Sister Roberts from St. George Utah. She is super sweet and enthusiastic about the work. She was kind of appalled when we went to the Doolittle’s, loaded up my luggage, took it to the Barney’s, dropped it off, and went to work, but we had work to do! I told her that we have goals that we have set and each of those goals is people that the Lord needs us to see, and every night I have to give the Lord an accounting of how we did and there is nothing I hate more than having to say that I didn't do my very best to meet that goal and see those people. So off we went. 
Sister Loli's Desk?
(No caption provided in Sarah's email)
Training is a really humbling experience. I can literally feel the weight of it on my shoulders. I realize that everything I do and teach effects the rest of Sister Robert's mission and that scares the living daylights out of me. I keep reminding myself that any fear is opposed to faith, and whom the Lord calls He qualifies. It just brings to light everything I need to be better at and the things I need to let go to fully devote myself to the work. I've really been concentrating on the phrase in my call letter that says "Leaving behind all other personal affairs." As I've tried to focus solely on my purpose as a missionary, I have seen blessings and miracles. It's awesome because this is the only time in my life where I get to focus 100% on something and know the Lord will handle all the rest! 
The Barney’s are 80 and 86. They are a nice older couple with two cats. We love it there, but it is so far away from our area that they are trying to find us a place to live that is actually in our area. I feel like I should put a sign on my back that says "Free to a good home." It just hurts my soul as we drive 20 minutes to the Stake center to see the Lord's miles just ticking steadily away. 
We've been seeing lots of miracles as we try our best to accomplish our goals each day. It seems like if we are doing everything we can, the Lord always provides a way for us to achieve our goals and see the people He needs us to see. 

Sister Roberts got to teach her first lesson this week to a co-worker of Brother Popeye’s. We taught the Restoration and she did great. We had role-played it in companionship study and taught a practice lesson to members but she was still SO nervous. When she started to share the Joseph Smith story she was talking so fast and stumbling over her words and I knew she was terrified. I just prayed to Heavenly Father to help her remember the things we had practiced and to have faith not fear. It was like you could see the peace of God come over her and she was able to testify with power. It was amazing! There is power in companions who pray for each other during lessons instead of worrying about what they will say next. A prayer in your heart is a powerful tool. She was so happy after the investigators left, that she was dancing around their living room. Not exactly the picture of quiet dignity, but since it was her first lesson, we'll let it slide. 
Just a quick thought about how no good deed is wasted. We were driving down the street after service and there was a little boy selling lemonade. We had already driven past, but Sister Roberts really wanted lemonade so we circled around and went back. We bought some lemonade and I started talking to the little boy. I asked if his family went to church on Sundays. He said, "No, but I really want to. My friends all go to church." I gave him a mormon.org card with the church's address and meeting times written on the back and told him to give it to his parents. Nothing may come of that contact while I am here, but maybe one day down the road when he has a family of his own and two missionaries knock on his door, he will remember the nice sister missionaries who stopped at his lemonade stand and let them in. You can never estimate the ripple effect of one good deed, one good interaction with a faithful member of the Lord's restored church. 
So now for the reason I am writing so late: Yesterday, Daphne came to church and right before the opening song she had some sort of attack. She acted really weird and then just asked me to take her to the foyer. I took her outside and she started explaining her symptoms to me. I ran back inside where they were now singing the opening hymn and grabbed Sister Doolittle and Sister Happyfeet, who is a nurse. We all determined that Daphne needed to go to the hospital and get checked out so Sister Doolittle drove Daphne and Sister Roberts and I to Placerville to the hospital. They got her checked in and determined that it was the beginning of a stroke! They got her stabilized and kept her overnight. Today we were busy getting things ready for her to come home and picking her up from the hospital. She's going to be ok, but in a weird way that experience was a total miracle. If she hadn't come to church, the stroke would've happened at home where she is all alone and she wouldn't have gone to the hospital. It would have gotten worse and she would have had nobody there to help. She could have died, but because she chose to come to church, she had an army of people on her side watching out for her. And therein lies the lesson to one and all, go to church. It saves your soul and it could save your mortal life as well! 
We placed a Book of Mormon in the Chapel
at the hospital while we were waiting for Daphne
So that's life from Green Valley. We are working hard and seeing miracles. Our big open house is the weekend and we are in crunch time pulling things together. I have faith that all the effort will be worth it and miracles will happen because of it. I love it here and I am so grateful to serve as a missionary for my Lord and Savior. 

Love y'all

Sister Burchett



No comments:

Post a Comment