I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and have been called to serve in the Sacramento California Mission! This is my blog where you can follow my adventures for the next 18 months (January, 2013-June, 2014)
Did you know that Sacramento was the original place of the California Gold Rush? I'm so excited! See ya'll in 18 months, I'm going for spiritual Gold!

Monday, June 24, 2013

Sacramento - Week 21

Due to the new security measures requested by the Mission leaders, the names of all investigators and people that Sarah comes into contact with will be replaced with the name of a well-known character from a children’s movie. This will keep the identities of people safe as well as make it easier to keep everyone straight. The name given is in NO WAY intended to reflect the personality, looks, or circumstances of the individual(s).



“Me and my Gal”
Monday June 17, 2013

When we were putting together my bike,
I was a basket case...haha, get it?
Well, everybody, I bought a bike. Her name is Galilee, because she is a beach cruiser hybrid with gears. Get it? Galilee...Sea of Galilee...Sea...Beach Cruiser...haha Yep, that is my sense of humor for yah. I call her Gal for short which sounds very Southern so it all works out for me. Now, I am an epic failure of a missionary because I took zero pictures this week so I don't have a picture of my new bike yet....so next week! I will tell you that I most definitely have a bike license plate that says "Jesus Loves Me". Thank you Wal-Mart. I think Sister Roberts has a picture of Christopher Robin and me putting it together (which means Christopher Robin putting it together and me watching because as discussed in last week's letter I am TERRIBLE at putting things together) so I'll see if I can steal it. It is an awesome picture which accurately describes how I felt the whole time. Good news! I remember how to ride a bike. I was kind of worried that I didn't, but I remembered and we are good. 


Family Home Evening at the Doolittles! Sis. Roberts and
Christopher Robin putting together my bike while I
provide moral support like a pro.


After buying my bike Monday, I woke up Tuesday with some sort of terrible stomach bug. Which turned the next several days into my own version of missionary hell. Why? Because the spirit was willing, but the flesh was weak. All I could do was lay in bed and sleep or stare at my ceiling and think about how all I wanted to do was go out and work. I just kept thinking of all the people walking around my area needing the gospel and here I was in bed. Sister Roberts told me that in my deliriousness I kept committing myself, missionary style, to be better. "Knowing what you know now about missionary work, will you commit yourself to being better by 2 o'clock? Yes, I will."
Needless to say, however, 2 o'clock came and went and I was not at all better. Wednesday I decided even if I couldn't work, Sister Roberts needed to. We had work to do! So, we called up our pre-missionary recruits in the Green Valley Ward and rotated them being my companion as I slept on their couches and them being Sister Robert's companion and going out and working. Thursday I slept all day and got up to go to a Relief Society activity that our investigator was supposed to come to. She didn't, so I figured while I was up and semi-presentable I needed to get a blessing. We called up the Elders, got me blessed, and then I went home and slept again. I'm so grateful for the priesthood on earth today, by the way. It's awesome to have that power and spirit at our fingertips. Friday I went out for about 3 hours in the afternoon, came home and took a nap, went back out for our dinner appointment and then came home and crashed. Saturday I decided not to be sick anymore and we went out and worked all day. We had goals to meet and people to see! And so we did. And it was a miraculous day, and I felt so much better being out and working. Sunday we worked all morning and I took a nap in the afternoon and then we worked the rest of the day. I am getting my bounce back now and I expect to be completely recovered soon! I told Heavenly Father that I just need to be healed already because I have way too much to do to be stuck in bed. 

Even with sickness, we had a miracle this week. Sinbad, the father of the family who owns Mira Loma Cafe, had his first missionary lesson and committed to be baptized in July! It's been a long time coming, and through much prayer and patience he is ready. He is so excited, and I can see how the gospel is blessing his family's life already. The more he reads the Book of Mormon, the more the light of Christ just radiates from him and he becomes a better person. It's just so awesome! 
Have you ever thought about how lucky we are to have the gospel of Jesus Christ in our lives? I was thinking this week (spending all that time in bed gives you lots of time to ponder) about how if we could remember the pre-mortal life, we would never be afraid to do missionary work. Why? Because we would remember who all the people around us are: our Brothers and Sisters who we knew and loved and I have no doubt raised our hands to support and say "Even though you will be born without the gospel, I will find you and I will tell you all about it so you can come back and live with Heavenly Father too!" If we could remember those promises we made, we would shout the gospel from the rooftops! How sad we will be to return to our Heavenly Father's presence and find people missing. God doesn't just want to save a few of us. He wants every single one of us to return to him. The ONLY way that will happen is if WE, every single one of us, tells everybody we know about the gospel. They say it takes 7 good contacts with the church for someone to take the missionary lessons. I say, y'all get contacting! We have work to do and I know I'm a talker, but I can only talk to so many people ;) 
I know this work is true and wonderful and marvelous. I am so grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ in my life. I haven't found a suitable rooftop to shout from yet, but we are going to the mountains today for P-day so maybe I'll find a good mountaintop to cry repentance from. 
Love, 
Sister Burchett



No comments:

Post a Comment