I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and have been called to serve in the Sacramento California Mission! This is my blog where you can follow my adventures for the next 18 months (January, 2013-June, 2014)
Did you know that Sacramento was the original place of the California Gold Rush? I'm so excited! See ya'll in 18 months, I'm going for spiritual Gold!

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Sacramento - Week 22

Due to the new security measures requested by the Mission leaders, the names of all investigators and people that Sarah comes into contact with will be replaced with the name of a well-known character from a children’s movie. This will keep the identities of people safe as well as make it easier to keep everyone straight. The name given is in NO WAY intended to reflect the personality, looks, or circumstances of the individual(s).



“Angels that keep a deer from becoming an Angel”
Monday June 24, 2013

Howdy y'all! 
First an explanation of the title of this email. This week, we almost hit a deer. We were leaving our subdivision in the morning and got onto the main road. All of a sudden a deer leaps out of the bushes out of nowhere. I just remember having this moment of "This can only end in tears!" (as said by the white bat in the animated movie ‘Anastasia’) and praying that somehow we wouldn't hit it. I eased onto the breaks and slowly turned the car away to keep the car behind us from hitting us and hoped that the deer would move faster than the car. All I can say is that angels are surrounding us because I have no idea how we didn't hit the deer. It was literally an inch away from the car but we didn't hit it! Miracle! Thank you angels. 
How about that broadcast?! Wasn't it amazing! We should all review the counsel given to us as members and missionaries. We must work together for this work to progress! I think my favorite part was Sister Neil Marriott telling her conversion story. It could just be because she is from the South, but the spirit was so strong. I left so pumped to be a missionary and to be doing missionary work!
All the Missionaries/Pre-missionaries
Fun Fact:  It looks like Christopher Robin is touching her,
but he isn't. His arm was like way out behind her because
he is still such a missionary and not comfortable with
hugging girls, etc. Which is good, but super funny!
Back to Last Pday and we will work our way through this past week. We went to the mountains, and I was a happy girl! We had so much fun at Wright's Lake. We played in the water on the shore (only up to ankle deep because obviously missionaries do not swim) and went biking and for a little hike. It was glorious. The best part was being there as missionaries and future missionaries enjoying God's creations. What a loving Heavenly Father we have to give us such a beautiful world to live in?! We went to In and Out for dinner and then I was off to Sacramento for an exchange with Sister Loli! 
Bear Country!
The rocks were out of our mission,
so we had to stay on the trail :(

Gosh I love that Sister! She is amazing. We went to visit a less active Tongan family and Sister Loli and I brought our ukuleles, we jammed out with them and invited them to church. It was great fun. Our dinner appointment was meeting up with the older ladies from her ward at Marie Calendar's for dinner. Maybe I'm an idiot, but I didn't realize there were Marie Calendar's restaurants too! I just thought i was frozen foods.
When Sister Loli brought me back we stopped at the Doolittle’s to say hi. Sister Doolittle was teasing me because whenever Loli and I are together, I come back all islander. She said, "Burchey, you're gonna marry and island soul." I said, "That's a good plan because we all know  I need somebody mellow!" haha. We were all cracking jokes like the good old days and Sister Doolittle told Christopher Robin, "Can't you see why it was so much fun to have them living here!" I asked Sister Loli what it feels like to leave this place after so long. She said it feels like someone reached into your chest, stabbed your heart, and then ripped it out and ate it.
I'm not looking forward to this at all.
Transfers are next week so I will be emailing on Tuesday. We'll see what happens. Maybe if I pray REALLY hard, I won't have to leave. I'm just not ready yet. 
We sent Sister Lucy Ricardo off to the MTC last week and Sister Ethel Mertz to the MTC this week. My little army of future Sister Missionaries is shrinking!!!!!!!!! But I am so happy for them to be in the field. They will be amazing! 
With Ethel Mertz at her open house/farewell!
Ethel's farewell was yesterday and so Sister Roberts and I were in a musical number with some other future missionaries. I volunteered poor Christopher Robin to sing. He was so nervous, but I have never been so happy I threw somebody under the bus. He has an amazing voice! Let this be a parable to all of us. We all have talents and we need to use them. When we hide them under a bushel because of what other people might say, we are just jipping out ourselves and others. Also, we may have talents we don't even know about, so we should always try new things! We sang Come Thou Fount and the spirit was amazing!
And now a faith building story on the power of prayer: Yesterday, Sister Roberts lost her camera. She then proceeded to freak right out. I told her we needed to stop and pray and it would show up. She was reluctant, but I made her pray with me. Sure enough, the camera showed up. God hears and answers prayers. We just have to have faith. 
I've been thinking a lot about the power of prayer lately. There's a part in my patriarchal blessing that counsels me to teach my children like the Mothers of the Stripling warriors to pray and to have faith in prayer that they might be guided and protected throughout their lives. It's never really hit me before, but think about the awesome insight about the stripling warriors! Imagine them on their knees praying to their God to deliver them, fervently pleading for their lives and the lives of their people. How many nights must they have knelt in prayer with their mothers or seen their mothers kneel in prayer? They had great faith because they knew that they had petitioned their God and they knew not to doubt Him, because their mothers knew it. Prayer is real, and prayer is power. 
Sinbad is still on track for being baptized! He is so excited and he and his wife have set a goal to be sealed a year from now. How amazing is that?! The gospel changes lives and brings together eternal families! 
Have a wonderful week! 

Love, 
Sister Burchett
Daddy told me to never get on the back of a bike with a boy,
but what about with my companion?
The things you see in Rescue...







No comments:

Post a Comment