I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and have been called to serve in the Sacramento California Mission! This is my blog where you can follow my adventures for the next 18 months (January, 2013-June, 2014)
Did you know that Sacramento was the original place of the California Gold Rush? I'm so excited! See ya'll in 18 months, I'm going for spiritual Gold!

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Sacramento - Week 59/60

Due to the new security measures requested by the Mission leaders, the names of all investigators and people that Sarah comes into contact with will be replaced with the name of a well-known character from a children’s movie. This will keep the identities of people safe as well as make it easier to keep everyone straight. The name given is in NO WAY intended to reflect the personality, looks, or circumstances of the individual(s).

COUNTDOWN: 80 Days


“City of Lard
March 17, 2014

Hello! 
Sorry for the lack of letter last week! The day got away from us with transfers and at about 9 o'clock I was sitting on my bed starting to pack and thinking, "I have forgotten something....what is it."
Then, Sister Zenger yells "WE DIDN'T EMAIL HOME! OUR PARENTS ARE GOING TO DIE!"
The good news is I have heard from you so I think that means everyone survived. And with that....the transfer news! 
I have been transferred to the Northland Ward in Manteca, California. Manteca means "lard" in Spanish. Contrary to such an interesting name, it is a beautiful place and I love it here! There are SO many people to talk to and teach, and I love being a bike missionary again. 
Tuesday I got to go to the temple and see many old mission buddies and the Doolittle’s. It was so great to be together again. I feel like I have this amazing collection of adopted family spread over Northern California. What an amazing blessing! I wish I could shrink everyone down and carry them around with me always. It would make member present lessons a breeze! 
I got to Manteca on Wednesday. My companion's name is Sister Johnson. She is waiting on her visa to Brazil. She's from Denver, Colorado, and I adore her! We are having lots of fun. Currently, we are wearing matching green skirts for Saint Patrick's Day, along with green necklaces that the member we live with gave us. The people in the family history center loved it. 
Manteca is a pretty diverse place. We have a section of the ward that is newer housing developments, areas that are more humble, areas that are like little Mexico, and areas that are huge sections of farmland. Manteca has lots of orchards and specializes in growing almonds. We rode down Main Street the other day, and I was in heaven loving the adorable historic downtown with shops and restaurants and the Manteca Moose Lodge. Those of you that know my love of Moose will know how much I appreciated that. 

We are teaching a bunch of people and we found 3 new investigators this week that seem super prepared. We have been having a great time street contacting. We have met a lot of interesting people. I'll show you some of the movie reels in heaven. We can laugh together. And then those people (who by that time will be baptized) will say, "Oh my goodness! I SAID that!" And we shall all rejoice that the atonement is real and the gospel is true. 
Sorry this is so short! I've got some scholarships to finish and I have to plan my classes for the fall...I wonder if they have "Adjusting to Normal Life: A crash course in reality for newly returned missionaries" ? 
Love y'all!!!! 

Sister Burchett

No comments:

Post a Comment