I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and have been called to serve in the Sacramento California Mission! This is my blog where you can follow my adventures for the next 18 months (January, 2013-June, 2014)
Did you know that Sacramento was the original place of the California Gold Rush? I'm so excited! See ya'll in 18 months, I'm going for spiritual Gold!

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Sacramento - Week 65

Due to the new security measures requested by the Mission leaders, the names of all investigators and people that Sarah comes into contact with will be replaced with the name of a well-known character from a children’s movie. This will keep the identities of people safe as well as make it easier to keep everyone straight. The name given is in NO WAY intended to reflect the personality, looks, or circumstances of the individual(s).

COUNTDOWN: 45 DAYS


“Because of Him, I Can Do Double Duty”
April 21, 2014

Hello Everyone!
Well, it's that time again. Transfers! Sister Johnson is leaving to go to La Sierra (YES MY OLD AREA IN CARMICHAEL!) and I am so happy for her! I, meanwhile, am staying in Northland ward, but they are merging Northland and Ripon areas. So, the Assistants called to tell me that I will be put in charge of both areas and take on Sister O'Steen, who has been in Ripon with Sister Roberts, as my new (and final) companion. I am very excited to get a new area and keep my old one, but honestly a little bit intimidated with the task of merging two areas that are a distance apart and need lots of attention. Northland is booming, so she needs lots of love and time to see all of our investigators, and Ripon is in a bit of a lull, so she needs lots of love and time to find new investigators. How will we ever find time to both? I don't know, but God does, so everything will work out. He's good at His job, so that makes up for the fact that I am merely mediocre at mine. 
I hope everyone had a marvelous Easter! Ours was just wonderful. We had 6 investigators at church, and then went to the house we are currently in for lunch. Nothing is better than having a whole crowd of non-members voluntarily come into your house and not be able to leave without offending family! We got to share the Easter message "Because of Him" with them. If you haven't seen it, check it out. The message is for always, not just Easter.
We were able to bear testimony of the risen Savior, and of all that is possible in our lives and after this life because of Him. This morning, the Sister we are staying with told us how perfect it was for her family, and how touched they all told her they were after we had left. IS THE HOLY GHOST AWESOME OR WHAT! I am grateful everyday for the spirit, because He is what teaches and testifies, not me. 
Next, we dropped off dinner for the Dracula’s, one of our investigator families. The dad was in the hospital and the mom had been with him all day. We took them Easter dinner and candy for the kids. Harry Potter, the 10 year old, came to church by himself and he said he hadn't had anything for Easter that morning. Turns out he hadn't had breakfast either. He devoured my pack of "100 Calorie Chips Ahoy Crisps" and a pack of almonds, and was grateful, though irritated that I made him wait until after the sacrament. (flash forwards to parenting. How do they do it!) I am constantly reminded of how blessed I am. There has never been a question of whether or not breakfast will be there in the morning. The mom was so grateful when we stopped by with dinner. She looked exhausted and had the weight of a mom who can't give her children what she wants on her shoulders. I found comfort in knowing that Because of Him, because of our Savior's sacrifice, our burdens can be made light and miracles can happen. He who knows each sparrow is mindful of us, and will take care of us. 
We went to dinner at the Pimpernelle's. Brother Pimpernelle is less active. His wife, Sister Pimpernelle, is the most active person in the world. They are both lovely! They have a massive house out in the middle of nowhere that Sister Pimpernelle has decorated like an African safari, complete with statues of giraffes, cheetahs, elephants, rhinos, and hippos spread across the lawn. It was way too much fun. Dinner wasn't quite ready when we arrived, so Sister Pimpernelle let me spend some quality time with her white baby grand. *insert me drooling a little bit here* It was gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!! Brother Pimpernelle just about died laughing when I played Dixie. What can I say, I know where my heart will always belong. Sister Johnson and I performed this beautiful arrangement of I Believe in Christ set to the music of Ave Maria. Perfect Easter Hymn. We shared the Because of Him message with them and their non-member friend and invited Sister Pimpernelle to bear her testimony. It was one of the most spiritual moments of my mission as she testified of the Savior's atonement and the difference it had made in her life. The atonement is what has helped her to stay active when it meant going to church by herself every Sunday. She is who she is, and we are who we are, because of Him. 
We had two more less active lessons after dinner. We shared the Because of Him message with them and challenged them to make a list that night of what they have because of Jesus Christ. It's been amazing to hear about their experiences. WE TRULY HAVE AND ARE EVERYTHING BECAUSE OF HIM. 

I am so grateful for my Savior. I'd be toast without Him. I couldn't do anything without Him, although He would probably say that I try too hard to do things without Him. I admit I forget a lot how much I need Him. Too busy being a Martha and not being a Mary, I guess. But every single day I am grateful for what He did for me, for you, for everyone! He is the answer to every problem, the light at the end of every tunnel, and the calm in every storm. When we let Him help us, we become better, are made stronger, and can do all things! 
Have a wonderful week! 
Love, 
Sister Burchett

No comments:

Post a Comment