I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and have been called to serve in the Sacramento California Mission! This is my blog where you can follow my adventures for the next 18 months (January, 2013-June, 2014)
Did you know that Sacramento was the original place of the California Gold Rush? I'm so excited! See ya'll in 18 months, I'm going for spiritual Gold!

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Sacramento - Week 66

Due to the new security measures requested by the Mission leaders, the names of all investigators and people that Sarah comes into contact with will be replaced with the name of a well-known character from a children’s movie. This will keep the identities of people safe as well as make it easier to keep everyone straight. The name given is in NO WAY intended to reflect the personality, looks, or circumstances of the individual(s).

COUNTDOWN: 38 DAYS


“Folsom and a Frenzy”
April 28, 2014

Hello one and all!
On to my week. Peppermint Patty and Marcie were baptized!!!!!! AND I got to go back to Folsom for the baptism. Let it be written in the chronicles of time that Mr. and Mrs. John Deere are the best people in the whole wide world for driving me all the way to Folsom from Manteca. I've prayed some serious blessings their way. It was amazing to be there with my girls on their special day. They have been waiting so long. The transformation in their family since we started working with them in February is nothing short of a miracle. Their grandpa, who was performing the baptism, came up to me and said, "Are you one of the missionaries that taught my granddaughters?"
I told him I was, and he said, "I've had to get knee replacements I've spent so much time down on them! Thank you."
I was laughing so hard I nearly cried. As usual, I wanted to cry, but I'm a little broken and so I just laugh instead. (Side note on that topic: An older lady in our ward, who is fantastic, told me this week "I used to never be able to cry either. It just means that currently you are truly happy and haven't found your emotions yet. Wait until you have kids and hit 35. You'll find them." Again, I laughed.) There is nothing better than seeing the blessings of the gospel change the life of a family and bring them closer to forever. 
This week in Northland and Ripon was CRAZY. Crazy awesome, but crazy nonetheless. It was a lot of administrative work correlating the two areas, but now that it's all over and everything is merged fairly well administratively, we can focus on ministering instead of administering, which we all know is the best part. We did find another amazing family to teach in Northland. Mrs. Crood is the mom and was found by street contacting. I am a big believer in the power of contacting! So many of our investigators have been found that way. The Croods have 5 kids. They are Catholic, but they really don’t like the Catholic Church. We had an appointment and only Mrs. Crood was able to be there to listen because her husband got called into work, but we had a powerful lesson with her about the Restoration of the gospel. She said that if she knew these things were true she would be baptized. We are going to extend a date this month to her when we meet this week. She was so excited as one of our member missionaries testified about their journey in finding out if Joseph Smith was a prophet, and how they gained their testimony. Oh how we missionaries need members! They really do make all the difference. 
Sorry this letter is a bit short. Much to do and say and very little time, so I'll just share what is most important, and that is my testimony:
I've been thinking about eternal families a lot this week with the Peanuts baptism and some of the dinners we have had with amazing members. Last night we ate with two older couples. The wives were best friends in high school and then the one married the other's brother and they became sisters-in-law.
One of them said, "She is my best friend! Except for my hubby. He's my bestest friend."
How wonderful it is that our relationships can be eternal! We can be with the people we love most FOREVER, and it's all because of our Savior, Jesus Christ. I know that through His restored gospel our families can be together eternally. Though separated in this life, mortality will be but a blink of an eye compared to the forever we will spend in happiness with each other. Those who have left this mortal existence are not far from us. They are very involved in our lives and our praying and working for us because they want us to be with them again. Eternal life is a family affair, and so is the gospel of Jesus Christ! Isn't it just wonderful! 
Have an amazing week! Remember to serve when called upon, love freely, and keep a smile on your face and a song in your heart. Hopefully it's not "Deck the Halls" because I perpetually have "Fa la la la la la la la la" running through my head. Oh well. The spirit of Christmas is the spirit of Christ, right? Even in April. 
Love, 

Sister Burchett

No comments:

Post a Comment