I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and have been called to serve in the Sacramento California Mission! This is my blog where you can follow my adventures for the next 18 months (January, 2013-June, 2014)
Did you know that Sacramento was the original place of the California Gold Rush? I'm so excited! See ya'll in 18 months, I'm going for spiritual Gold!

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Sacramento - Week 27

Due to the new security measures requested by the Mission leaders, the names of all investigators and people that Sarah comes into contact with will be replaced with the name of a well-known character from a children’s movie. This will keep the identities of people safe as well as make it easier to keep everyone straight. The name given is in NO WAY intended to reflect the personality, looks, or circumstances of the individual(s).



“I cried for like 5 seconds…”
Monday July 29, 2013

It's true! I did! It's a miracle! I DO have a soul and I am a girl. I was starting to wonder. It had been a while since I cried. What brought it on? Well, stay tuned and find out. They were happy tears, so don't fret! 
This week has been amazing! Where do I begin? Well, as Maria says in the Sound of Music, let's start at the very beginning, a very good place to start. 
La Sierra, as I have said before, has struggled for a while. It was a little neglected by past missionaries and many of those missionaries burned bridges with the ward members, making them not super trusting of the missionaries and not very willing as a whole to make a lot of effort in the work of salvation. So, enter Sisters Burchett and Vaughan with a smile and joke or two and lots of love ready to be given. We have been slaving away and loving it. Whatever the ward asks, we do it and we go above and beyond. You want us to visit less actives? Ok, we'll see every one on the ward list. You want us to contact a few referrals for you? We'll report back with a detailed explanation of everyone's situations and needs and a plan for how we can help you to help them. Even sickness won't stop us! 
Sister Vaughan and I inhaling steam with
essential oils so we could breathe.
We felt so silly.
We've had colds the past two weeks and so finally after being so sick we got blessings. We called a member of our bishopric, Brother Blues Clues and he came and gave us blessings and he and his wife brought us groceries and soup and it was just the nicest thing people had done for us in a while and it made us feel so loved and appreciated. Then on Sunday, Bishop Wiggles got up and told the ward what a great job we were doing and how grateful he was for us. Then he said, "Even though they've been sick, they have been out spreading their germs...I mean the gospel." (He's a doctor and Brother Blues Clues is a heart surgeon hence they are big on health and have been watching our symptoms and feeding us endless supplies of Gatorade.) He then challenged everyone in the ward to, when they have us over for dinner, set up a time to go out and work with us. It just filled me with joy because it showed that he trusts us and that he wants the rest of the ward to trust us too. It's a miracle. When we give all of our efforts to the Lord, He will bless them and sanctify them and help us succeed. And loving people is powerful. Everybody needs love. 
We accidentally broke one of the mirrors in
our apartment. Bad luck? Not for missionaries!
On Wednesday our Zone Leaders called us and challenged everyone in the zone to find a new investigator that day and call it in as a miracle. We took the challenge and after much prayer and a lot of faith exercised we added 3 new investigators! We found the Muppet family. Kermit, the husband, was raised Catholic, and his wife, Miss Piggy, was raised 7th day Adventist but neither of them practice now. Their daughter passed away in the last year in a car accident and they have two other girls living at home, one of which is getting married in a few months. We talked with them about the Plan of Salvation and challenged them to read the Book of Mormon. They accepted and we are going back this week. We also added another new investigator on Friday when we were visiting his mom who is a less active member in the ward. When we take care of the people we have, God will give us more. 
Fun story: We met a less active sister this week who raises piranhas for a living. Yep. Piranhas. The flesh eating fish. She has like 200. It was awesome. 
Faith building story: We met another less active sister who is from Fiji. She is here being a caretaker for an Elderly Lady and so she doesn't get to come to church. Wednesdays are her only day off. But we showed up at her door and she said, "Sisters! I am so glad you are here. Can you tell the Bishop I have 3 months of my tithing saved up and I have been waiting for someone to come by and get it?" She can't come to church and many people would use that as an excuse to fall out of faith and become complacent, but she saves her tithing every week for as long as it takes for it to be picked up. We are going to arrange for the sacrament to be brought to her because she wants to take it so badly. 
Sinbad's Baptism!
And now, for the reason I cried for 5 seconds. On Saturday, Sinbad got baptized and I got to go back for the baptism! It was amazing to see him so happy and to see all the people there supporting him, and to see his family so happy and so filled with the spirit. When he saw me, he hugged me so tight! And I didn't even care. Is that apostate? I think not, because Jesus would have hugged him back too. :) When he came out of the water, there were tears in his eyes and in his wife's eyes and my heart was filled with pure happiness. The missionaries in the area now asked me to come up and bear my testimony and as I stood there and looked at that family that I adore with all my heart, I cried for 5 seconds as I said, "The gospel of Jesus Christ is all about families, and I love this family." Then I got a grip and bore my testimony and it was the sweetest experience. There are a lot of hard days, but no effort is wasted. Soon, Sinbad will receive the priesthood and they will have a priesthood holder in their home. We referred Sinbad's mom to the missionaries in San Jose and she is taking the lessons. Ripple effect. It's real. Also, I found out that Mary Poppin's husband’s son got baptized later that night as well. Ripple effect! Love comes back to us. 
That's it for this week. Miracles happen and the gospel is true. I hit 7 months on Friday. How did that happen?! It's going too fast. 
Love y'all! 
Sister Burchett




No comments:

Post a Comment