I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and have been called to serve in the Sacramento California Mission! This is my blog where you can follow my adventures for the next 18 months (January, 2013-June, 2014)
Did you know that Sacramento was the original place of the California Gold Rush? I'm so excited! See ya'll in 18 months, I'm going for spiritual Gold!

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Sacramento - Week 29

Due to the new security measures requested by the Mission leaders, the names of all investigators and people that Sarah comes into contact with will be replaced with the name of a well-known character from a children’s movie. This will keep the identities of people safe as well as make it easier to keep everyone straight. The name given is in NO WAY intended to reflect the personality, looks, or circumstances of the individual(s).




“It’s a girl!”
Tuesday August 13, 2013

Well, it's about that time again. What time? Transfer time. We got our calls last night and Sister Vaughan is leaving me for Elk Grove. I'll be staying here in La Sierra and training a new missionary. The car is also leaving me, as we are being made into an all bike area. Seeing how I haven't ridden a bike my whole mission, my new companion and I will be learning as we go together. What a fun adventure we are about to have! She's been here in California about 4 hours now so I hope she loves it as much as I do. I'll pick her up in the morning so more information to come next week. 
This week has been amazing!!! We had an awesome lesson with Miss Piggy and Kermit yesterday and they are so prepared for the gospel. They are reading the Book of Mormon and have so many questions. I love them so much! The only snaffoo is that they are planning a wedding at the moment so at least Miss Piggy doesn't feel ready to totally dive in until September, but they are still progressing and are very interested. They are coming on a temple tour with us on Saturday. I'm praying that they feel the spirit and have a true desire to change and become a part of Christ's church. The gospel has already blessed their lives, and as all things in the gospel do, they are blessing our lives in return. 
We also had another awesome lesson with our investigator Mulan. Mulan is a former we picked up and are teaching again. One thing I've noticed with Mulan and Miss Piggy and Kermit is that they all are very focused on their personal relationships with God, which is awesome for us as missionaries because that is what we want to help them develop. Sometimes they feel like, "Why does it matter what religion you are or what church you go to? Isn't your relationship what's important?"
Answer: Yes, your relationship with God is the most important thing. However, God has given us a sure fire plan and guidelines to help us develop that relationship. That's where the church comes into play. Isn't it amazing that God loves us enough to give us the church to help us and guide us?! He just loves us so much. 
On that note, a tender moment from this week and a reminder that outside appearances can be deceiving. We were at a funeral for a ward member and a man walked in. He was a big guy with long hair a cut off t-shirt, leather vest, and tattoos. His hat said "Wolfman" on it, and all in all most people would see him and be grateful they weren't in a dark alley alone. But I watched as this man walked over to the grieving widow, who was just about 4'10 and the tiniest thing you nave ever seen and said, "I'm sorry baby doll. But he's with God now." And then he held her in his arms while she cried. It was an amazing experience to see the pure love of Christ that this man had for this woman. Most people would see him and assume he was anything but religious, but in his own way he bore her a sweet testimony of our Father's plan for all of us, that we don't cease to be, but we continue to live on with Him and with our loved ones forever. 
New planner!
In our bedroom at the apartment, some missionaries from who knows when put those plastic glow in the dark stars all over the ceiling. I love it because I miss seeing the stars. There is this awesome ensign article this month called "World's without end" all about our amazing solar system and galaxy and the incomprehensible creations of God. There is a quote in that article that I love so much it became my new planner cover.
It's from President Dieter F. Uchtdorf and it says, "This is a paradox of man: compared to God, man is nothing; yet we are everything to God. While against the backdrop of infinite creation we may appear to be nothing, we have a spark of eternal fire burning within our breast. We have the incomprehensible promise of exaltation - world without end - within our grasp. And it is God's great desire to help us reach it." 

and

I testify that we ARE everything to God. It is His work and His glory to bring to pass our immortality and eternal life. We are His children, and He loves us! He wants us all to return to him. He looks on our hearts, not our outward appearances. He sees us for who we can become if we will follow Him and His Son, Jesus Christ. Our work and glory is to do everything we can be like Him and make it home, and to bring as many of our brothers and sisters with us as we can. How great is our calling! 
I strung up my fish in a line over my bed :)
No empty seats at the dining table in heaven! 
Love, 
Sister Burchett




No comments:

Post a Comment