I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and have been called to serve in the Sacramento California Mission! This is my blog where you can follow my adventures for the next 18 months (January, 2013-June, 2014)
Did you know that Sacramento was the original place of the California Gold Rush? I'm so excited! See ya'll in 18 months, I'm going for spiritual Gold!

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Sacramento - Week 30

Due to the new security measures requested by the Mission leaders, the names of all investigators and people that Sarah comes into contact with will be replaced with the name of a well-known character from a children’s movie. This will keep the identities of people safe as well as make it easier to keep everyone straight. The name given is in NO WAY intended to reflect the personality, looks, or circumstances of the individual(s).



“A Bicycle built for one”
Monday August 19, 2013

Hello everyone! 
Well, it's been an interesting week. As transfer weeks usually go, it was long a busy and I am completely and utterly exhausted, but in the best way possible. 
My new companion is Sister Kagie from West Bountiful, Utah. I'm convinced they give me all these Utahans so I can teach them how life works outside of the bubble in the most caring way possible. Just kidding. But seriously, she is great and together we have been learning the art of the bicycle. 
Here are my thoughts and experiences with biking so far: 
  • Sweat. So much sweat. 
  • Helmet hair is not my style. 
  • Sidebag on a bike....whose genius idea was that? 
  • Bugs hit my face like it's a car windshield
  • I'm grateful for my thickly padded bike seat
  • Pedestrians hate drivers. Drivers hate pedestrians. Everybody hates bikers. 
  • Thank goodness for Mary Kay's Finishing Spray. My make-up still looks decent at the end of the day even if everything else is in disarray. 
  • If you need help fixing your bike, make Elders appear in person. Them explaining directions over the phone goes something like this "You just squeeze the wire together." 
  • Where bikes go, area books cannot follow. 

And amidst all of this, I actually am starting to really enjoy biking. Especially at night. Which is funny because poor Sister Kagie HATES riding at night. She's convinced that Carmichael is the biggest ghetto on planet earth and that we will be shot and killed or mugged and killed or hit by a car and killed. I think it's lovely. For example: The other night we were pulling up to a traffic stop and a guy drives by in this car and yells something and I just laugh. And then like 10 seconds later all these firecrackers go off across the street and I thought "That was strangely beautiful. Like the 4th of July. Wonder where they came from." And then I crossed the street and started singing, "You can make the pathway bright".
We got home and sister Kagie says, "I never want to bike at night again." I asked why and she looked at me in shock and said, "Didn't you see all of that?!" She then explained that they guy that drove by had previously been standing on the side of the street yelling at his girlfriend and they were fighting and got in the car and where still fighting when they drove past us and the woman was crying and he was yelling and that two punk boys dropped the firecrackers out of the window of their car after they lit it and that when they went off she thought it was gunshots and she was about to have an anxiety attack. "Are you totally oblivious?!" She said.
I just laughed and said, "Apparently." I had a great night. I guess I have been on my mission long enough and gone through enough crazy experiences to know that as long as I am being obedient and as careful as I can be, God won't let anything bad happen to us. The spirit will warn us of real danger and we really don't have anything to fear. So I just sing a song and pedal down the street. Sister Kagie still hates riding at night, but I love it. It's so much cooler than during the day and there is music and laughter and lots of joy. I love Carmichael at night. She will too...eventually :) 
We have been having trouble getting investigators to church in this area. I had been thinking and thinking about how we could get people there when I had this burst of brilliant inspiration. We have an area book full of phone numbers. Why not text them all and invite them all to church. I call it a text blitz. So we did. We texted 99 people and invited them to church. Sunday morning came around and...
Nobody came. Not one. 
But later that day one of the numbers texted back to ask who we were (normal people don't realize that once you give your number to missionaries, they will have your number forever) and we started to talk to them and teach them about the gospel. His name is Jimminy Cricket and we set up a return appointment to teach him this week. Miracle! And in the most ironic way we texted the 99 and then went after the 1.
Beautiful. 
Last night we had 5 minutes before we had to report our numbers for the week and I felt like we should try to contact a few more people with the time we had. We called a less active named Mushu who we had never seen or heard of before. He said he wanted to come to church but he needed a ride and he wanted to have the missionary lessons over again. We said, "Sure, we can do that." Miracle! 
Miss Piggy and Kermit had to reschedule the temple tour for this weekend so we will be going with them and a recent convert from the ward who is preparing for the temple. We are so excited. It will be an amazing experience for them. I'm pumped. 
The pictures are one of Sister Kagie and I after our first day biking. Sweaty with helmet hair. Oh yes. And the other one is the result of biking. I've decided it is easier to clip my badge to the strap of my bag while I am riding my bike. So I take off my bag (over my head) and then clip my badge to my shirt when we reach our destination. The other day we got to dinner and I took of my bag and couldn't find my badge. I was so confused because I had literally just seen it. We looked around for five minutes before I turned around and Sister Kagie started cracking up. It was stuck perfectly in my hair. Fun stuff. 
Love y'all! Have a great week! If you're biking in the dark, sing a hymn. It's refreshing and scares away the bad guys. 
Love, 
Sister Burchett



No comments:

Post a Comment