I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and have been called to serve in the Sacramento California Mission! This is my blog where you can follow my adventures for the next 18 months (January, 2013-June, 2014)
Did you know that Sacramento was the original place of the California Gold Rush? I'm so excited! See ya'll in 18 months, I'm going for spiritual Gold!

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Sacramento - Week 35

Due to the new security measures requested by the Mission leaders, the names of all investigators and people that Sarah comes into contact with will be replaced with the name of a well-known character from a children’s movie. This will keep the identities of people safe as well as make it easier to keep everyone straight. The name given is in NO WAY intended to reflect the personality, looks, or circumstances of the individual(s).



“Transfers!”
September 24, 2013

Transfers! I'm staying in Carmichael to finish training Sister Kagie, for which we are both grateful. My work here is definitely not done and I'm excited to stay another 6 weeks. 
In sad news, BYU lost to University of Utah this week. It's a tragic day for America. One of the Senior couples knew my intense love of sports and they texted me updates all throughout the evening on the score and progress of my beloved Cougars. They are wonderful people! haha 
We had to postpone Tinker Bell's baptism because she missed church. All because of health problems and her ridiculous Chihuahua, Buddy, who has separation anxiety. I was explaining this to my Zone Leaders, and Elder Morley (who was my district leader and just got called to be the new Assistant) says to me, "I can solve this problem. What's her address?"
I said, "Elder Morley, you can't kill her dog."
He said, "Why not? All dogs go to heaven. Haven't you seen that movie?"
It was morbidly hilarious. I'm grateful for missionaries that have a sense of humor. I know God is grateful too. If he wanted robots, he would have sent those on missions instead. 
Our open house was a great success! We had lots of less actives come and it was great to have them there and get them involved. One family in particular, the X-Men’s, I was so glad to see. Sister Vaughan and I found them as we were sorting the ward list two transfers ago. Brother X-Men is a recent convert and Sister X-Men has been less active for a while. Brother X-Men has a 13 year old son, Charles, who isn't a member, and he is so great! I want to baptize him! But his mom doesn't want him coming to church. He came with the X-Men’s to the open house though so that's good. We helped teach their family the restoration for a new member lesson this week and Charles was SO excited to have a Book of Mormon. The Bishop's daughter and I got called on impromptu to sing for the open house so we found ourselves throwing together "Nearer My God to thee" We sang through it once with some harmonies and then performed it in the chapel. Last minute musical number for the win! 
I have a testimony that God does lead us to where we need to be, even when we don't recognize it. This week we were driving past a street and I said to Sister Kagie, "Hey, let's go see the Garrisons and fill up our water bottles."
Turns out they really needed us then. We were able to help them sort through some problems they were having and answer their questions. They just kept saying, "You are an answer to prayer." There is nothing that compares to the feeling of knowing that the Lord has sent you to help. You feel like a superhero. Missionaries to the rescue!
Our Ward Mission Leader, Brother Bear, came up to us on Sunday and said,
"Sisters, I want you both to know that I think you are amazing, and I appreciate everything you do, and I love you both. I really do."
I told him, "Awwww, Brother Bear. If we could hug you, we would."
To which he replied, "Yes, but that would be completely inappropriate." And then he chuckled and walked away. Members are the best! 
I've been thinking a lot about love this week. It's so amazing to realize how, as missionaries, we come so quickly to love people so deeply that we barely even know. In the words of my companion, "It's kind of ridiculous how much I love these people!"
You love your companion, your ward, your investigators, the missionaries you serve with. You love them with everything you've got and it is a miracle that the Lord allows you to love that much. 
I love all y'all! Thanks for you support and your love. I'm coming up on my halfway mark next week and I can't believe how fast time has gone. Make the best of every day because you just don't get it back. 
Love, 
Sister Burchett 


No comments:

Post a Comment