I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and have been called to serve in the Sacramento California Mission! This is my blog where you can follow my adventures for the next 18 months (January, 2013-June, 2014)
Did you know that Sacramento was the original place of the California Gold Rush? I'm so excited! See ya'll in 18 months, I'm going for spiritual Gold!

Monday, October 7, 2013

Sacramento - Week 33

Due to the new security measures requested by the Mission leaders, the names of all investigators and people that Sarah comes into contact with will be replaced with the name of a well-known character from a children’s movie. This will keep the identities of people safe as well as make it easier to keep everyone straight. The name given is in NO WAY intended to reflect the personality, looks, or circumstances of the individual(s).



“Fanning the Flame”
September 9, 2013

This week's title brought to you by the La Sierra ward council under the direction of Bishop Wiggles, who on Sunday, presented us with battery powered portable fans for when we are riding our bikes. The best humans ever? I think yes!
This week has been full of ups and downs. Ups because it's missionary work and it's the best thing ever, and downs because we pedaled up a lot of hills and therefore we got to go down them too! I love riding up hills. And for this reason, Sister Kagie hates my guts. haha I just love the feeling of conquering something. You see this huge hill and think, no way José. And then you think, I'm gonna show that hill who is boss!
And then when you reach the top, it's the best feeling in the world! There is a phrase in the scriptures that says you can "come off the conqueror". I just love that. Every time I see someone come closer to Christ, I feel that same rush, because together that person and us as missionaries conquered Satan a little bit and it's one step closer to when we conquer him altogether. 
I saw that this week with Tinker Bell. We went to Tinker Bell's house and decided to leave a blessing on her home. In our mission, we have started a program called "The Savior's Peace and Blessing". In the scriptures there are countless examples of the Savior commanding His disciples to leave a blessing of peace on the homes where they are accepted. It's a priesthood blessing, but since we as sisters are called as representatives of Christ, we are able to perform the blessing on the home in virtue of that calling. It's not a dedication, but a blessing that leaves peace and comfort on the home once we are gone.
When we perform the blessing, we always ask the person what things they stand in need of in their lives, things that they are struggling with that we could help bless with peace and help as we are prompted by the spirit. For Tinker Bell, she was so worried about her dog, Buddy. Buddy hadn't eaten in days. He was so depressed because Tinker Bell was so depressed. He also has anxiety and so he chews up everything. She asked us to please bless him that he would eat. So as I gave the blessing I felt prompted not only to bless Buddy that he will eat, but to also bless him that he will be comforted and not have the desire to chew everything up. It sounds silly, but the spirit said that that was what we needed to say. As soon as we said "Amen" we opened our eyes...and Buddy was eating! And he hasn't chewed anything since. And it was a miracle. And it was just the most amazing experience. The spirit was so strong and I knew that God truly was mindful of Tinker Bell and that she was His daughter and that she had a Savior who has experienced everything she is going through and is ready to help her, and so He sent us as missionaries to teach her the gospel. As Moroni said, God has not ceased to be a God of miracles. 
We had dinner with the Von-Trapps and the Wiggles this week and it was so much fun! I asked Bishop about his conversion story and it was just amazing. What it boils down to is, as he said, "One day I couldn't find my wife in Raley's". So here's the story. Bishop and Sister Wiggles were married and had two kids. Sister Wiggles and the kids were all members, but Bishop wasn't. One day they were shopping at Raley's (a grocery store) and Bishop got a phone call. He went outside to take the call and when he came back in, he couldn't find Sister Wiggles and the kids anywhere. It was one of those situations where you just keep circling past each other and don't meet up. After wandering around forever, they finally found each other and Sister Wiggles said, "This is what it will be like if we aren't sealed in the temple. We'll be in the same place, and we'll know that the other one is here somewhere, but we won't be able to find each other no matter what we do. And it will be terrible." And Bishop said, "You're right." And he took the missionary lessons and was baptized and they were sealed on their anniversary a little over a year later. 
Funny story from this week: We were teaching our investigator, Ms. Frizzle, on her front porch and her neighbor came over. He was Russian. When he saw us he said, "I hope Jesus Christ is your personal Savior?"
And I said, "Yes, He is! And I hope He is yours too."
He said, "Yes He is...and (in a thick Russian accent) without Mr. Smith."
I just laughed and told him we would have to talk religion sometime. I find sick joy in people who think they are going to meet with me and set me straight and prove that everything I know to be true is wrong, and that's really awful. It just motivates me to bear my testimony to them because I know they are my brothers and sisters and that they knew it was true once too. And for the record, I know my Savior better because of "Mr. Smith". And for that I am so very grateful. 
Have a wonderful week! Life's meant to be joyous, so don't forget to smile! 
Love y'all! 
Sister Burchett

No comments:

Post a Comment